Sunlight Mountain Resort cares for the health and safety of guests, staff, community.
Our COVID Safety Plan has been approved by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment and also the Garfield County Public Health Department.
We have implemented a number of new protocols and measured steps throughout all company departments and touch-points aimed at better ensuring a safe and healthy resort, workplace, and community.
Nothing is more important to us than the health, safety and well-being of our employees, guests and community. With that in mind, we are committed to operating in the safest way possible to allow for Sunlight to be open all season long for the enjoyment of skiing and riding — something that can be good for the soul during times of anxiety and stress.
While this season will certainly be different, Sunlight Mountain Resort plans to operate with new procedures that adhere to the public health and safety guidelines recommended by local, state and federal health officials while providing the same ski and ride experience Sunlight is known for.
Sunlight is closely monitoring the dynamic situation surrounding COVID-19 and continue to follow the most updated guidance and precautions from federal and state officials, and health agencies.
Here’s what we’re doing to make our on-mountain experience as safe as possible:
- Encouraging contactless advance purchase of lift tickets, and lessons to ensure ample space for all guests at the resort and on the mountain.
- Reducing capacity in indoor spaces
- Encouraging physical distancing throughout the resort
- Requiring our employees to wear face coverings and complete daily COVID-19 screenings
- In dining establishments we are offering grab and go and pre-ordered items for pick-up, and increasing outdoor seating areas
- Asking guests to use their vehicle as their “basecamp”
And what we’re asking our guests and employees to do:
- Wear a face covering
- Maintain physical distance from others
- Practice frequent hand washing
- Stay home if feeling ill
Guests are also encouraged to “Know Before You Go” and review the resort’s COVID-19 policies regularly at https://sunlightmtn.com/tickets-passes/covid-safety as policies, procedures and operations are subject to change.
Sunlight COVID-19 FAQs
Will I need to make reservations to ski or ride at Sunlight?
No, we are not requiring reservations. However we are encouraging contactless advance online purchasing of lift tickets and lessons for ages 7 and older. These will reduce time and congestion at the mountain on our busier days.
Is it too late to purchase a season pass for 2020-21?
- No, 2020-21 season passes will available for purchase until January 15, 2021.
- Spring Passes will go on sale Feb. 15th.
- Season Pass renewals will begin April 1, 2021, at which time any credit due as per the Sunlight Smile Guarantee Season Pass Policy will be applied.
- Passholders have until May 31, 2021 to renew their passes and receive any credit due.
How far in advance will day tickets need to be purchased?
- Lift tickets purchased online must be purchased no less than 24 hours in advance.
- At this time we don’t anticipate the need to cap daily ticket sales, we will sell tickets at the mountain
- However guests save money when they purchase online vs. at the lift ticket window.
- We encourage those planning to visit Sunlight purchase tickets online in advance.
Will I be able to purchase a ticket on the day I want to ski?
Yes, we anticipate that skiers and riders will be able to purchase a ticket on the day they want to ski, however we will have the ability to limit ticket sales as needed to control visitation at the resort. Guests are encouraged to purchase lift tickets in advance.
Is the resort offering lessons this year?
- Yes, small two hour group and private lessons are available.
- Advance purchase and reservation is required for ages 7 and older.
- For lessons for ages 3 through 6, please email Matt@SunlightMTN.com.
- Lessons are one to two hours in length with start times of 9:30pm, 11:30pm, and 1:30pm Participants and instructors will be required to wear face coverings with no indoor guest/instructor contact.
Will restrooms be open?
Yes, although like other indoor spaces, restrooms will abide by social distancing requirements and will be cleaned and sanitized on an hourly basis during daily operations.
Do I have to book lessons and equipment rentals in advance?
No, equipment rentals are available at Sunlight Ski & Bike Shop and at the mountain. Call 970-945-9425 for more details.
Are face coverings required to ski or ride this year?
- Face coverings will be required whenever physical distancing cannot be achieved. This includes both indoor and outdoor spaces, except when eating or drinking.
- Face coverings are also required when riding the lifts.
Will I be required to wear a face covering when outdoors at the resort?
Guests will be required to wear a face covering when in the lift line and while riding the lift, and in areas of the resort where physical distancing cannot be maintained, including in the base area and in the lodge.
Face coverings will not be required while skiing or riding on the mountain due to the physical distancing that occurs naturally.
What do I need to know before skiing or riding at Sunlight this year?
It is important to know that the resort will comply with local, state and federal guidelines related to COVID-19 safety. With that in mind, operations are subject to change. Guests should be sure to check https://sunlightmtn.com/tickets-passes/covid-safety to familiarize themselves with current procedures and protocols.
Will chairlifts be loaded differently? Will I have to ride the lift with people I don’t know?
Guests who arrive together will be allowed to ride the lift together. Unrelated parties may ask for a space between or to ride alone.
How will you determine if the mountain is too crowded?
To manage visits and avoid over-crowding, we are encouraging advanced day-ticket purchases and mid-week visits whenever possible. Sunlight will monitor online and walk-up ticket purchases and will have the ability to limit these ticket sales as necessary. We will not limit the daily use of our season pass products.
Will you turn people away if the mountain gets too crowded?
We do not anticipate the need to turn people away, however we will limit ticket sales as necessary.
Will the lodge be open?
Yes, however capacity will be limited. Outdoor seating areas will be available and guests will be encouraged to utilize these areas or eat in their car in order to minimize indoor crowding.
Where can I go indoors when the weather is bad?
Guests are encouraged to use their vehicle as shelter from the weather since capacity limitations will be enforced in the lodge.
What policies do you have in place for avoiding the spread of COVID-19 among your employees?
Every employee will complete a daily COVID-19 screening questionnaire and temperature check prior to beginning their shift. Employees will be required to wear face coverings and arrive ready to work. As practical, departments may staffer staff arrival times to avoid crowding. In addition, the capacity of non-public employee indoor spaces will be limited to maintain physical distancing between staff.
What happens if an employee was exposed, is symptomatic or tests positive for COVID-19?
Any Sunlight Mountain Resort employee who has symptoms, tested positive, and/or was exposed to a COVID-19 positive person must follow Colorado Department of Public Health regulations, which require self-quarantine, testing, and/or monitoring. Employees will be permitted to return to work based on guidelines from the Colorado Department of Public Health.
What special training are employees getting related to COVID-19?
All employees will participate in mandatory training on best practices to mitigate spread and exposure. This includes what to do if an employee is exposed, requirements for physical distancing and sanitization, and protocols specific to their job.
Find updated data on COVID cases in Garfield County here. https://www.garfield-county.com/public-health/garfield-county-covid-19-cases/
At Sunlight we communicate and reinforce with guests and employees to wear masks as advised, follow hygiene practices including cough and sneeze etiquette, practicing physical-distancing, and we encourage you to stay home if you're feeling sick.
With the Sunlight Smile Guarantee TM and the Sunlight Skier & Rider Playbook, we are all guaranteed to enjoy a winter season with so much to smile about.
COVID 19 Resources
- Center for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment COVID-19 Info: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/2019-novel-coronavirus
- Call CO-Help at 303-389-1687 or 1-877-462-2911 or email COHELP@RMPDC.org, for answers in English and Spanish (Español), Mandarin (普通话), and more.
- CDC: 2019 Novel Coronavirus web page
- CDC: Novel coronavirus information for travelers
Let's all make it a winning season, all season long!