Sunlight Uphill Passport Program
Sunlight Mountain Resort Uphill Passport Program
Thank you for participating in Sunlight Mountain Resort's Uphill Passport Program. The Roaring Fork Valley has an active uphilling community and Sunlight Mountain Resort works with its local users, volunteers, private businesses, and others to facilitate uphill access and supports uphilling events.
The goal of the passport program is to preserve the privilege of uphilling while preventing accidents and injuries, as well as establishing and maintaining a communicative dialogue with uphill users. With an educated and aware uphilling community, Sunlight Mountain Resort feels it can accommodate uphill activites within the scope of its operations. Please respect that Sunlight Mountain Resort is in the business of downhill skiing.
Sunlight Uphill Policy:
Sunlight Mountain Resort allows uphilling during operating hours, pre- and post-season, and in the summer. The guest must possess a Sunlight Hiker Pass. This pass may be obtained, free of charge, from Guest Services or from the Ski Patrol. When the guest receives the pass, they will also be given a trail map listing the suggested travel routes. Sunlight does not allow dogs on the mountain at any time during the operating season.
Uphill Activity Overview:
I understand that ski area operations can be underway 24 hours a day including pre- and post-season.
I understand as an ascender I assume the same risks as a skier.
I am aware that on-mountain hazards include: snowmaking equipment, extremely variable snow conditions, grooming cats, winch cats, snowmobiles, pipe and hoses, high voltage electric lines, variable weather conditions and other skiers.
I am aware snowmaking electric lines conduct high voltage and are to be avoided.
I am aware that snowmaking hoses and lines are often charged with very high pressure and are to be avoided.
I understand that I should stay out of the way of snow cats on the hill. Do not follow cats that are grooming. Please stay at least 100 feet away from operating cats. Please avoid all equipment and operations.
I understand that Sunlight does not allow dogs on the mountain at any time during the operating season. This policy is necessary in order to keep dog poop off of our slopes. Failure to observe Sunlight’s dog policy, and increased presence of dog poop on the slopes can potentially threaten the future opportunity of uphilling at Sunlight Mountain Resort.
On occasion any portion of our mountain can be closed to uphilling, particularly when early-season snowmaking operations are underway. It is your responsibility to check if the mountain is open.
I understand uphillers may not access lifts without a valid pass or lift ticket.
I understand that there are no ski area services when the mountain is not in operation.
No services are provided outside of normal operating hours and rescues should be directed to the local Sheriff's Office (911).
I will obey closures, including preseason, post season and after operating hours. I understand the closures are in place for my safety.
I am aware that I share the mountain with other uphillers and will stay visible and alert to others.
Please be courteous to our employees and respect they are doing their jobs making snow, grooming, hosting events, and ensuring mountain safety.
Please keep an eye out for uphillers descending while you are ascending.
Rescue outside of operating hours may be attempted by the Sheriff’s Office (911).
Sunlight Mountain Resort employees do not respond to incidents outside of operating hours.
Please respect the groomers by both moving out of their pass and staying off groomed terrain when possible.
Avoid winch cat operations. The cable can be stretched for several hundred yards down the hill and is very difficult to see and exceedingly dangerous. Crews will post signs and lights in the area when they conduct winching operations. Stay far away from these areas both ascending and descending.
Reflective clothing and headlamps are strongly recommended when ascending at night.
Pre- and Post-Season:
Extra care should be used ascending and descending prior to the start of a season and after shut down. Preseason is by far the most dangerous time for uphilling.
No snowmobiles or cats are permitted on the ski areas ever, including post season.
Sunlight Mountain Resort maintains an open boundary with limited exceptions. Please be aware of the rules and risks if you chose to leave the ski area boundary.
Thank you for participating in Sunlight Mountain Resort’s Uphill Passport Program.
I understand and will abide by Sunlight Mountain Resort’s uphilling policies.
Participant Signature Date
Sunlight Mountain Resort
WARNING, ASSUMPTION OF RISK, RELEASE OF LIABILITY & INDEMNIFICATION AGREEMENT
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING. THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY & WAIVER OF CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS.`
1. The person who is taking part in uphill travel activites at Sunlight Inc., DBA Sunlight Mountain Resort, shall be referred to hereinafter as “Participant”. The “Undersigned” means only the Participant when the Participant is age 18 or older OR it means both the Participant and the Participant’s parent or legal guardian when the Participant is under the age of 18. The Undersigned agree and understand that skiing and/or using any of the facilities of the ski area, including but not limited to use of the lifts, ski slopes, trails, and other equipment, for any purpose (hereinafter the “Activity”), can be HAZARDOUS AND INVOLVES THE RISK OF PHYSICAL INJURY AND/OR DEATH.
2. The Undersigned are advised that a person using any of the facilities of the ski area is considered a skier. The Undersigned acknowledge and understand the dangers and risks of skiing and understand that the Participant, as a “skier” under Colorado law, ASSUMES ALL INHERENT DANGERS AND RISKS as provided by the Colorado Ski Safety Act (hereinafter “Act”).
3. The Undersigned further understand and agree that in signing this Agreement, the Undersigned are expressly acknowledging and assuming additional risks and dangers that may result in property damage, physical injury and/or death above and beyond those outlined in the Act, including but not limited to:
Falling; avalanches; cornices; suffocation; crevasses; equipment failure; equipment malfunction; equipment damage; Participant’s improper use of equipment; Participant’s use of his/her own personal equipment; Participant’s failure to maintain or otherwise upkeep his/her own personal equipment; slick or uneven surfaces; slipping; tripping; loss of balance; rugged mountainous terrain; bumps; tree wells; downed timber; rocks of various sizes; holes; debris; marked and unmarked obstacles; drainage channels; varying visibility; unmaintained trails; path and/or trail obstructions; unmarked roads and/or trails; Participant or another acting in a negligent manner that may cause and/or contribute to injury to Participant or others, such as selecting terrain that exceeds his/her ability and not acting within such ability; Participant’s failure to comply with signage; collisions with natural or man-made objects or collisions with other people; falling objects; encounters with snowmobiles and/or other motor vehicles; becoming lost or separated; lack of shelter; lift loading, unloading, and riding; storms, lightning, hail, snow and other adverse weather; limited access to and/or delay of medical attention; Participant’s health condition; strenuous activity; fatigue; exhaustion; dehydration; hypothermia; high elevation; altitude sickness; frostbite; & mental distress from exposure to any of the above.
4. Pursuant to Colorado law, Participant assumes the responsibility of maintaining control at all times while engaging in the Activity. Participant is responsible for reading, understanding and complying with all signage, including instructions on use of lifts. Participant must have the physical dexterity and knowledge to safely load, ride and unload the lifts. Participant assumes the risks of riding the lifts and engaging in activities accessible from the lifts. Further, the Undersigned understand that a minor Participant may use the ski lifts without an adult present. The Undersigned are advised that snowmobiles, snowmaking, and snow-grooming equipment may be encountered at any time, and the Undersigned recognize that falls and collisions occur and injuries are a common and ordinary occurrence of the Activity.
5. The Undersigned acknowledge and understand that the description of the risks listed above are not complete and that participating in the Activity, whether or not described, may be dangerous and may also include risks which are inherent and/or which cannot be reasonably avoided without changing the nature of the Activity. By signing this document, the Undersigned recognize that property loss, injury, serious injury and death are all possible while participating in the Activity. RECOGNIZING THE RISKS AND DANGERS, THE UNDERSIGNED UNDERSTAND THE NATURE OF THE ACTIVITY AND VOLUNTARILY CHOOSE FOR PARTICIPANT TO PARTICIPATE IN AND EXPRESSLY ASSUME ALL RISKS AND DANGERS OF THE ACTIVITY, WHETHER OR NOT DESCRIBED ABOVE, KNOWN OR UNKNOWN, INHERENT OR OTHERWISE.
6. Additionally, in consideration for allowing the Participant to participate in the Activity, THE UNDERSIGNED HEREBY AGREE NOT TO SUE Sunlight Mountain Resort or any of their respective successors in interest, affiliated organizations and companies, insurance carriers, agents, employees, representatives, assignees, officers, directors, and shareholders (each hereinafter a “Released Party””) for any property damage (including but not limited to equipment damage), injury or loss to Participant, including death, which Participant may suffer, arising in whole or in part out of Participant’s participation in the Activity. By agreeing not to sue, the Undersigned are releasing any right to make a claim or file a lawsuit against any Released Party. Also, the UNDERSIGNED AGREE TO HOLD HARMLESS AND RELEASE EACH AND EVERY RELEASED PARTY FROM ANY AND ALL liability and/or claims for injury or death to persons or damage to property arising from Participant’s participation in the Activity, including, but not limited to, those claims based on any Released Party’s alleged or actual NEGLIGENCE or BREACH of any CONTRACT and/or express or implied WARRANTY.
7. By execution of this Agreement, the Undersigned also AGREE TO DEFEND AND INDEMNIFY/REIMBURSE each Released Party from any and all claims of the Undersigned and/or a third party arising in whole or in part from Participant’s participation in the Activity.
8. In consideration for allowing Participant to participate in the Activity, the Undersigned agree that any and all claims for injury and/or death arising from the Participant’s participation in the Activity shall be governed by Colorado law and exclusive jurisdiction of any claim shall be the District Court OF GARFIELD COUNTY, COLORADO or in the Federal Court for the State of COLORADO.
9. In the case of a minor Participant, the Undersigned parent or legal guardian acknowledges that he/she is not only signing this Agreement on his/her behalf, but that he/she is also signing on behalf of the minor and that the minor shall be bound by all the terms of this Agreement. Additionally, by signing this Agreement as the parent or legal guardian of a minor Participant, the parent or legal guardian understands that he/she is also waiving certain rights on behalf of the minor that the minor otherwise may have. The Undersigned parent or legal guardian agrees that but for the foregoing, the minor Participant would not be permitted to participate in the Activity.
10. By signing this Agreement without a parent or legal guardian’s signature, Participant, under penalty of fraud, represents that he/she is at least 18 years of age. If signing as the parent or guardian of a minor Participant, signing adults represent that they are a LEGAL parent or guardian of the minor Participant.
11. The Undersigned understand and acknowledge that this Agreement is a contract and shall be binding to the fullest extent permitted by law. If any part of this Agreement is deemed to be unenforceable, the remaining terms shall be an enforceable contract between the parties. It is the Undersigned’s intent that this Agreement shall be binding upon the assignees, subrogors, distributors, heirs, next of kin, executors and personal representatives of the Undersigned.
I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THE FOREGOING ASSUMPTION OF RISK, RELEASE OF LIABILITY & INDEMNIFICATION AGREEMENT AND UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS. I AM AWARE THAT I AM RELEASING CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS THAT OTHERWISE MAY EXIST.
Printed Name of Participant Signature of Participant Date
Printed Name of Parent/Legal Guardian #1 Signature of Parent/Legal Guardian #1 Date
Printed Name of Parent/Legal Guardian #2 Signature of Parent/Legal Guardian #2 Date
Emergency Contact [name/relation]: